Thursday, January 27, 2011

More on Worksheets

As for today's Science lesson, we went through more worksheets. As usual, I had learnt more, new Science concepts after this lesson. 


I used to think that the effect of pressure would not affect the boiling point of a substance. But now I think that the effect of pressure actually DOES affect the boiling point. The boiling point of a substance will be higher when the pressure acting on it is raised. This is because boiling point refers to the temperature which the vapour pressure of the substance is equal to the environmental pressure surrounding it.


I also used to think that we were able to smell the fragrance of the perfume because of someone, who had applied perfume, was standing close to us. But I was wrong. Now, I think it is because of the vapour of the perfume contains gas particles which can be moved between the air particles in the room. This process is called diffusion.


I found out that steam (gas) has a greater volume than water (liquid), as the particles in liquids are close together with little empty spaces between them. But for the particles in gases, they are spaced out far apart from one another. Hence, the volume is a lot larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment